Do you know that your incognito history gets saved? While browsing incognito keeps you safe from storing the history on your device but the traces of your online activity can still be there even after your session ends. Learn how you can check and delete the incognito browsing history.
View incognito history through the DNS cache
Once your browsing session is ended you can check your incognito history in your DNS cache.
What is DNS? DNS stands for Domain Name System.
What does DNS do? It matches a website’s URL or web address with its IP address. When you type a web address into your browser, the DNS server finds the IP address of the website so that you can actually visit the site.
Anything you do on the internet, the information is saved in the DNS cache, even if you are working with incognito. The DNS cache gives speed to your browsing experience and the browser doesn’t need to check with the DNS server every time you view a site.
Also Read :
Deleting incognito history can be done through the DNS cache. Learn how you can check your incognito browsing history.
- Go to the search bar and type cmd to open Command Prompt.
- Click Run as administrator.
- put the command ipconfig/displaydns and Enter. You’ll get your detailed DNS cache history.
How to delete incognito history on Windows
Learn how to flush the DNS cache and clear incognito history on Windows:
- Click the Windows Start menu and type cmd to open Command Prompt. Select Run as administrator.
- Type the command ipconfig/flushdns and Enter to delete the DNS cache, which contains all the saved incognito history on your device.
How to delete incognito history on Mac
Mac users can use Terminal, the native command-line tool, to clear the DNS cache and delete the incognito history.
- Click Go > Utilities to open Terminal.
- Select Terminal
- Put the command sudo dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder into the Terminal’s command-line window
- Enter your computer password to delete the DNS cache.
The above command works for all macOS versions — from OS X Lion through macOS Big Sur. But if you’re on OS X 10.10.1, 10.10.2, or 10.10.3, enter the below-given command instead: sudo discoveryutil udnsflushcaches;sudo discoveryutil mdnsflushcaches
How to delete incognito history on Android
- Open Google Chrome and put chrome://net-internals/#dns into the address bar.
- Select DNS from the left panel, then click Clear host cache to clear the DNS data and delete your incognito history.
How to delete incognito history on iPhone
Putting your iPhone on airplane mode and turning it off will automatically delete the DNS cache in your phone.